Robert Harrington is lucky and thankful he and his wife are alive.

A retired pipefitter, Harrington attempted to light the pilot light of a propane wall heater for a small apartment about 2 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 29, on his 15-acre property east of Stockton on 1700 Rd. Something went wrong however, resulting in an explosion forcing two of the walls off the foundation, and causing third-degree burns to Harrington and second-degree burns to his wife Joyce, who was standing nearby.

“It just exploded with a fireball,” Harrington recalled.

Shortly thereafter the Harringtons called a neighbor, Scott Smith, who drove them to Citizens Memorial Hospital in Bolivar.

“He [Smith] called ahead and they were waiting for us,” Harrington said.

The couple later was taken to a Springfield hospital for further treatment before returning home around midnight.

“Know what you’re doing,” Harrington cautioned. “Let this be a warning — we could have been blinded; we could have been killed.”

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.