Log in

Family suffers total loss of home

Posted

Home fires are always tragic, but in the holiday season, a catastrophe seems to compound loss. Unfortunately, Virgil and Edina McGinnis experienced just such a disaster Monday night, Nov. 29, at their Humansville property. 

The family watched as their mobile home, construction office and materials for their future home went up in smoke. The couple and their 17-year-old son Virgil Junior escaped. Virgil Junior was taken to Bolivar Emergency Room for smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning. The fire started in their mobile home where their son was staying and their son, Virgil, lost everything.

“We feel blessed,” Edina said. “Everybody is safe. There were some explosions of propane tanks, but we were able to keep it contained to one area. My husband immediately jumped into action and moved a lot of vehicles.” 

In addition, the family is in the process of building a new home. They lost lumber, drywall, plumbing, wiring, appliances and other items stored for their home. 

CCR reached out to Humansville Volunteer Fire Department for comment but was unable to contact them. 

On Wednesday, as of press time, local communities and friends were organizing drop off places for donations to help the family.

Cherly Thornton, Stockton, is collecting donations. They can be dropped off at the north end of the old nursing home, now operating as the Stockton Family Restoration Center, at 811 Owens Mill Road, Stockton. 

Clothing, bedding, and furniture are especially needed for their 17-year-old son. Shirt size is large; jeans size 32x34; shoe size 12.

Cash donations can be dropped off at Cedar County Republican newspaper on the square at Stockton or Sac River Lumber, 921 Mo. 32, Stockton.

Comments

No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here


X